A college president, addressing an audience of about 100 women, on the privilege of a college education…
“Pretend for a moment that the hundred of you in this room represent the population of the world. Here’s what you would look like:
- 57 of you would be Asians, 21 Europeans, 14 from the Western Hemisphere, and eight from Africa.
- 51 of you would be female, 49 male.
- 70 of you would be nonwhite, 30 of you white. 66 of you would be non-Christian.
- 80 of you would live in substandard housing.
- 70 of you would be illiterate.
- 50 of you would suffer from malnutrition or go to bed hungry every night.
- The six of you at this table would hold half of the wealth in this room—you six are Americans.
- And only one of you has a college degree.”